Head of Engineering
- The fastest email experience in the world
- Loved and adored: see what our customers say
- Our customers get through their inbox twice as fast; many see inbox zero for the first time in years.
Come shape the future of email, communication, and productivity!
BUILD LOVE 💜
At Superhuman, we deeply understand how to build products that people love. We incorporate fun and play; we infuse magic and joy; we make experiences that amaze and delight.
It all starts with the right team — a team that deeply cares about values, customers, and each other.
CREATE MASSIVE IMPACT 🚀
We're not solving a small problem, and we're not addressing a small market. We're going after email; the one activity that consumes more of our work day than any other.
Our ambition doesn't stop there. Next: calendars, notes, contacts, tasks. We are building the productivity platform of the future.
DO THE BEST WORK OF YOUR LIFE 🌟
We have created the frameworks for how to build product market fit and redefined the narrative of how to onboard customers successfully. We have shown the world it’s possible to build a premium productivity brand. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, First Round Capital, IVP, Tiger Global Management, Sam Altman, and the founders of Gmail, Dropbox, Reddit, Discord, Stripe, GitHub, AngelList, and Intercom.
Our latest financing was led by IVP, and we welcomed Ajay Vashee to our board. Our prior financing was led by Andreessen Horowitz, and we welcomed Marc Andreessen and David Ulevitch to our board.
This time, we’re swinging beyond the fences and fundamentally rethinking how individuals and teams should collaborate. We are building a household brand and a worldwide organization. We are here to do the best work of our lives, and we hope you are too.
Lead engineering to deliver delightful and remarkable experiences to our customers, and accelerate the entire Superhuman mission. Lead our Engineering team to be the best in the industry.
Outcome #1: Rapidly and consistently deliver experiences to our customers that are delightful, of remarkable quality, and which have substantial business impact.
- We are here to build the most delightful and remarkable experiences possible. An experience is delightful when it evokes pleasant surprise. An experience is remarkable when it is so impressive that it compels people to talk about it.
- Simultaneously, we are on a journey to change work communication at scale. This is a highly competitive industry where we need to out-innovate and out-pace other players. This means we need to be at the forefront of fast and iterative delivery for a service that millions of people depend on for their daily work.
- To achieve this outcome, the Head of Engineering will:
- Build technology to drive remarkable customer-facing experiences at all levels.
- Keep a high pace of innovation and delivery.
- Manage scope, timeline, and budget to support the mission of the team.
- Deliver consistently high performance and reliability to our customers.
Outcome #2: Build and lead a high-performing Engineering organization.
- Inspire our team of world-class technologists to do the best work of their careers.
- Hire, coach and retain a diverse, distributed and talented team.
- Lead the organization with coaching, prioritization, clear communication, and modeling Superhuman values.
Outcome #3: Define our technology strategy.
- Collaborate with our founding and executive team, notably product and design, to define how technology can reinforce our competitive advantage and overall strategy.
- Define a clear and well articulated technology strategy that unlocks focused delivery.
- Lead the execution of that strategy, anticipate roadblocks, and enable the team to succeed.
Outcome #4: Partner with our executive team to define our future acts and achieve our vision: a productivity and collaboration ecosystem used by — and loved by — millions of professionals!
SOUND LIKE YOU? 🙌
- Business success: ARR
- Product success: NPS, App Store ratings, Product market fit score
- User success: Activation rates, Conversion rates, Uptime, Reliability
- Organizational efficiency: Delivery velocity
- Organizational growth: Hires against plan, e-NPS
Competencies — our ideal candidate is amazing at:
- Developing, hiring, and retaining high-performing leadership teams.
- Inspiring a diverse and distributed organization to operate as a high-performing, cohesive unit.
- Leading organizations to deliver remarkable quality experiences to millions of customers.
- Overseeing complex technical deployments in mission-critical environments.
- Driving high-pace delivery in a highly ambiguous context.
- Evolving organizational structure, processes, and culture from 50 to 200+; experience with globally distributed engineering teams.
- Engaging in strategic trade offs with customer- and business- acumen.
This is likely achieved through having 15+ years of professional experience, with 8+ years of experience leading distributed engineering teams.
Behaviors — our ideal candidate works like this:
- Start-to-Finish ownership on outcomes. They act as if they are 100% responsible for their own outcomes as well as the outcomes of the company.
- Results Driven. They work tirelessly in pursuit of their results; they quickly take the initiative and own when results are off; they course correct and get scrappy if necessary.
- High Initiative. They proactively spot, diagnose, and solve problems. They do this without dropping the ball on their core responsibilities.
- Situational Scrappiness. They know how and when to roll their sleeves up; they can be players and player-coach just as well as coaches. They do this without losing strategic perspective.
- Customer Centric. They are always pushing to improve the customer experience. They do this without losing sight of business results.
- Detail Oriented. They know the numbers and metrics of their business in great detail; they know the answers to questions about their business immediately; they rarely have to ask their team before getting back to you.
- Low Ego. They put the company ahead of themselves. Most of our discussions are about results and how to amplify success.
- Async Communicator. They are highly proficient in written communication. They are not intimidated by long documents and can write accurately and precisely.
- Grounded Optimism. They believe we will succeed and can explain why compellingly. They share this energy in the teams they serve on and lead.
Values — our ideal candidate shares these values:
- Create Delight. They create moments of pleasant surprise.
- Be Intentional. They act with reason, thought, and deliberation.
- Remarkable Quality. They produce work that is striking, worthy of attention, and a contribution to the state of the art.
- Growth Mindset. They embrace challenges, welcome criticism, and see effort as the path to mastery.
- Grit. They persevere toward challenging goals that may take months or years.
- Proactive Positivity. They move on from challenges stronger and happier; they demonstrate care and awareness for how their actions and words make others feel.
SALARY INFO 💸
The Head of Engineering role may span a range of experience and expertise. Through our interview process, we will review your background, local market data, and use a mix of technical and qualitative assessments to determine where you fall in our range. We will talk about compensation in our first conversation and be transparent throughout the process about which level we think is the best match for you in our organization.
Our starting salaries for this role range from $250,000-$385,000. The salary range does not reflect total compensation, which includes base salary, benefits, and company stock options.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance: 100% coverage for you, 75% coverage for all your dependents.
- Voluntary insurance: short-term disability, long-term disability, and life insurance.
- 401(k) plan (we match 75 cents per dollar, up to 4% of your salary).
- Free access to Northstar, a financial wellness platform that provides financial advisors + personal finance tools.
- Flexible Time Off and 13 additional company holidays, plus your own Care Days, Flexible Holidays and a company-wide Winter Break.
- Generous parental, caregiver, healthcare, and compassionate leave policies.
- $3,000 per year towards your professional development.
- Free access to Calm and Taskhuman.
- Allyship education program to help build your best self.
- Custom MacBook Pro.
- $1,000 budget for workstation setup.
- $60/week for your lunches, groceries, or whatever nutrition you need to stay fueled up!
- Flexible spending accounts for commuter costs, dependent care, and healthcare expenses.
At Superhuman, we value diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer: we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.