Staff Data Engineer (Kafka)
Every day, the world gets more digital thanks to tens of millions of developers building the future faster than ever. But with exponential growth comes exponential risk, as outnumbered security teams struggle to secure mountains of code. This is where Snyk (pronounced “sneak”) comes in. Snyk is a developer security platform that makes it easy for development teams to find, prioritize, and fix security vulnerabilities in code, dependencies, containers, and cloud infrastructure — and do it all right from the start. Snyk is on a mission to make the world a more secure place by empowering developers to develop fast and stay secure.
We’re looking for a passionate, empathetic and skilled Staff Data Engineer to join a new team to help us build the future of data products at Snyk. The team you would be joining is responsible for maintaining and improving the systems that support the storage, processing and analysis of the organization’s data. It includes the Kafka and Snowflake platform.
You’ll spend your time:
- Developing and maintaining IaC solutions for the Kafka platform using Terraform
- Crafting and architecting complex data pipelines within cloud-based distributed systems
- Collaborating with your cross-functional team and across the organization to prioritize, plan, and deliver business value and strategic opportunities
- Observing, analyzing and improving the performance, reliability, and usability of our services and the way we imagine and deliver it
- Experimenting, designing, architecting, coaching, advocating, and facilitating to explore and expand the possibilities of our technology and organization
- Sponsor and champion other engineers within your group/team by using your status and visibility to open opportunities for others
- Coding in Go, TypeScript and Python, deploying in a CI/CD workflow
- Participating in our on-call rotation (compensated)
We follow an Agile software development methodology in our engineering teams; additionally, our team is distributed between the West Coast of Canada to Europe.
You should apply if you:
- Have experience working with data processing pipelines & databases on cloud platforms
- Have experience with Kafka and Terraform
- Are familiar with distributed system architectural challenges
- Have experience with ETL processes and tools
- Possess a track record of successfully constructing data pipelines capable of handling substantial data volumes
- Working in a empowered, distributed environment that respects the team, our customers, and our partners excites you
- Love building new products and getting innovative!
- Have a good track record of project leadership and mentorship of software engineers
- Believe in the power of DevSecOps and automated quality to enable game-changing possibilities for ourselves and our customers
- Model high quality code, automation, and cloud-native distributed architecture
- Work collaboratively, communicate proactively, take a team-first mind-set, and skillfully give and receive difficult feedback when necessary
- Enjoy leading projects, while giving a safe space to others for ownership, intelligent mistakes, and growth
We’d especially love to hear from you if you:
- Have production-grade experience with Kubernetes or have worked with any of the popular cloud platform offerings from Google, Amazon and Microsoft Azure
- Enjoy the challenge of finding the right alerting, monitoring and SLOs for your services
- A desire to continually keep up with advancements in data
We care deeply about the warm, inclusive environment we’ve created and we value diversity – we welcome applications from those typically underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this role but are not totally sure whether you’re the right person, do apply anyway!
Snyk is committed to creating an inclusive and engaging environment where our employees can thrive as we rally behind our common mission to make the digital world a safer place. From Snyk employee resource groups, to global benefits that help our employees prioritize their health, wellness, financial security, and a work/life blend, we aim to support our employees along their entire journeys here at Snyk.
Benefits & Programs
Prioritize health, wellness, financial security, and life balance with programs tailored to your location and role.
- Flexible working hours, work-from home allowances, in-office perks, and time off for learning and self development
- Generous vacation and wellness time off, country-specific holidays, and 100% paid parental leave for all caregivers
- Health benefits, employee assistance plans, and annual wellness allowance
- Country-specific life insurance, disability benefits, and retirement/pension programs, plus mobile phone and education allowances