Senior Data Engineer
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2023
At Clay, we believe in building creative tools to help businesses grow. We’re on a mission to help teams grow their customer base by finding and reaching out to the right people.
Navigating the world of go-to-market data is a complex task involving data aggregation, transformation, and automation. We believe better software enables teams to become more effective in creatively seeking and reaching out to the people that matter. We are building a new type of data workflow tool that allows any team to find the right data, craft custom workflows, and automate their go-to-market strategy. We like to think of Clay as a composable canvas that unlocks power and creativity for growth-focused teams.
Engineering @ Clay
As the founding Data Engineer, you'll be the sole owner of data integrity at Clay and play a crucial role in designing, implementing, and maintaining our data architecture. The Clay product suite is entirely data-driven, so a great candidate will have a passion for acquiring, analyzing, and transforming data to generate insight.
👋🏿👋🏾👋🏽👋🏼👋🏻At Clay, we hold two things to be true as we grow our team — hiring is more about the person and less about the description; diverse teams build the strongest, most meaningful products. We are committed to building a team that reflects these beliefs, and cannot wait to speak with you.
NOTE: Being based in New York (or willing to relocate) is required for this role.
About the role
- Pipeline Management: You’ll build and maintain robust and scalable data pipelines, monitoring and optimizing data pipeline performance
- Data Modeling: Be responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining scalable and efficient data models for both structured and unstructured data
- Collaboration: Partner with Clay teammates and external stakeholders to ensure the data we’re providing our customers is functional and beneficial
- ETL Development: Develop and optimize ETL processes to load data into our robust data stores, then implement efficient testing and validation processes to ensure the accuracy and integrity of the data
- Dataset Evaluation: You’ll be the decision maker on how the data is presented in our product to our end customers
- You have demonstrated experience of 5+ years in a Data Engineering, DevOps, or Data Science roleA Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, engineering, or a related field
- You're able to navigate large quantities of data and surface statistics and recommendations
- You're comfortable interacting with data stores (SQL, etc.) and know or can learn new APIs with ease (elastic search, AWS S3 files, etc.)
- You can setup data pipelines (cron jobs, queues, serverless architectures, etc.) according to the dataset needs
- You’ve designed and implemented scalable data architectures with experience building large-scale high-performance data pipelines and event ingestion systems
Nice to haves.
- You have previous experience as the sole data engineer at a fast-growing startup
- You have familiarity with the GTM tech stack and data providers and have opinions on what would be impactful to integrate
- You’re naturally curious. Can you look at a huge JSON output and pick out what will actually be useful for our customers?
- You have a diversity of perspectives and interests. We hope to build a team that is is naturally open minded and grows with each other
Working @ Clay
Based out of a central office on 5th Ave in Manhattan near Union Square. We're big on taking care of our team and always excited to hear different ideas that can help us to do this better.
Competitive salary and role trajectory. Roles, responsibilities, and comp grow as we do.
Health insurance. Fully funded, high quality health, dental & vision coverage.
Visa sponsorship. We get it - it's an arduous process, but we're not scared of it.
Flexible schedules and paid time off. We ask team members to take at least 2 weeks fully-disconnected per year, with a flexible vacation policy beyond that.
Mental health. We’re currently building a plan to help you find coaches, mentors & mental-health services.
Annual company retreats. This past year we took our roadmap exploration to Costa Rica.
Personal comfort. Order whatever equipment you think will help you work more enjoyably.
Hybrid Work. Though we really like spending time together and prefer people being in-person.
Learn more right here!